Sunday 24 November 2013

Nursery update

Lately I've been feeling a little down about how I haven't been putting enough effort into my calling. I go every sunday and I'm there for the children, but I didn't do any prep so it was just a sunday thing....I think that's what felt weird, because usually with callings you have to do a few things to prepare for sundays. With my lessons being so basic, and just having to take a bit of morning tea for the children, I was able to do nothing to prepare, and leave it at the chapel on my way out the door.

It sounds a little funny as I'm writing that I purposely looked for ways to make my calling more time consuming, I think in the past I've wished that I could get stuff done faster and have it over with.

Anyways, to the point of this post, I've decided to do a few things to make Swanson Ward Nursery better!!!

-A little monthly newsletter for the parents of my children

-Each child now has a folder that I glue their activity sheets into

-Lessons are more prepared with visual aids and more than just a colour in sheet afterwards

-Each sunday there's going to be a new activity to do (moon sand, playdough, car race track, baking, collage, facepaint?)

-I've bought singing time mats so each child has a mat to sit on when we do singing time and there's a shaker, triangle or tambourine for each child. I find this is the rowdiest time for us, so the mats are intended to keep children in one place rather than wandering around

-I've considered doing a 'nursery blog' but I think at this point I won't bite off more than I can chew



 And maybe most exciting of all, I spent a couple of hours at the chapel this week organising the nursery cupboard. I should have taken a before and after shot, but trust me, it's so much better!




And next week I'm going to trial separating the room so they eat on one side, then go to the other side to play, then come back to the first side for their lesson and finish up on the second side for singing time. A bit confusing, but worth trying in case it helps with reverence and order. Will just have to wait and see on that one.

K, this post has been so slow in coming that I have trialed the separated room and I loved it.








I'm trying to be at church at 8:30 with my little helpers to get the room ready. Not sure if they're much of a help though. This morning they each got a piece of coloured paper and cut them into a million pieces!


Lovely Ella!

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I'd so love to be in your nursery...those kids don't know how lucky they are!!!

    ReplyDelete