Sunday 30 June 2013

Family Trip to Tauranga

On Friday night last week I left my family and went to stay with my other family. Daddy Joe had granted me leave for the night and following day and I was excited to go on a family trip to Tauranga.

To try and stop tears and tantrums as I left the house on Friday evening, I told the girls I was going to a meeting. That appeased their cries, until Faith asked 'why are you packing a bag for your meeting, why are you taking a blanket and pillow to your meeting?' Oops!


The weekend started with a Georgie Pie combo with Uncle Pete and Aunty Beezy. Then I had the privilege of watching the Aeroview Ward performance at the 'Soundtracks unplugged' Youth Roadshow. So cool! I can't wait until our kids get to that age when we're going to watch them perform up on stage. About 7 years to go!

Then I went to meet up with old school friends in Browns Bay to farewell my associate teacher (10 years ago), Ange Ley. She's retired so she's moving to Hamilton to be closer to family. I'm like a boomerang for Sherwood. I actually did my first 2 days relieving there since I left to have Seffy last May.

Then back to see the last ward of the roadshow and home to bed for a big day in Tauranga. First time I've slept at 18 Ensign Place since I left and it was fun.

Here's a few pics of the day in Tauranga with the Ormsbys, Stoners and Leones


Cutesy lil' Mac with his plate of Chinese food

One of Uncle Carl's plates. I was scared to confess to my husband that I passed on this food and went to Burger King for a Whopper instead....each to their own!

Mac on the good old Humpty Dumpty at Memorial Park. It's seen much better days but it's still cool to see him on something that Aaron and even I think Mum had photos on when they were little






At the family cemetery next to Uncle Brett's dad's grave. Cool to be able to visit and send him a pic
Mac aka photographer in training

Typical Grandie had to check it out


Dad and 4 of his kiddies (the Auckland ones...until Aunty Beezy leaves in a few weeks :(
I had a wonderful day even though I missed my husband and bayans (as Grandie calls them). It was so nice to come home to them and I almost had a heart attack (in a good way) when I saw everything that Daddy Joe had done. Not only had he spoken at a baptism and had his 3 hour activity at the chapel, but he'd also brought in and folded 3 loads of washing, cut his hair and mowed the grass. Amazing! But I told him, now that I know that's possible, I'll expect better things from him. When I told Dad that, he said 'Give him a break Mel, it was a once off!' to which Daddy Joe laughed 'Thanks Dad!!!'

If you're wondering what the kids were doing while he spent and hour mowing and blowing down the yard, apparently the girls were watching a movie and Seth was in the highchair!

Oh, and the whole point of going down was to visit Grandad's grave and see Aunty Jane and Uncle John. I often think of Grandad Wattie and I really look forward to meeting him one day. All we've ever had is photos and stories from Dad, which are good but to see him and hug him and hear him talk will be really cool. I suppose that's what it will be like for my children hearing about Mum :(

And it's always fun to see Aunty Jane and Uncle John. It's cool to have that connection with people that were so close to Mum and miss her and love for her cause sadly I feel that as time goes on there's less people that we are around that know her. Nearly 7 years......

1 comment:

  1. Cool post Hansel :) Man I could do with some of that chinese food now! You were so lucky to get that 24 hour get out of jail free card lol...I'm super impressed with everything jojo got done while you were gone!

    ReplyDelete