Monday 23 September 2013

Families can be together forever

When Mum passed away almost 7 years ago, it was hard to say the least. I cried a lot over the loss and longing to talk to her but not being able to. All of a sudden, I didn't have a Mum. I felt ripped off, why had this happened to our family? I had joined the club of people who have lost a parent and I didn't want to be part of it. None of those feelings have changed. I still feel the loss all the time. I still cry over not having her here to talk to, get advice from, and probably most especially I hate that my children don't get to have their beautiful Grandma at their parties, on the weekends, to hear them do talks in sacrament and all of those things that Grandmas do.

It breaks my heart and I don't see that hole and feeling of loss ever going away.

But what strengthens me and buoys me up whenever I think it's too hard to bear and tears sting my face, is knowing that Mum is still here. I can't see her and talk to her as I'd like, but I will see her and live with her again. She's still my Mum and always will be. Families can be together forever....that's the plan of our loving Father in Heaven. Death will part us for a short time and but our family is sealed for eternity.

Mum had to cope with the death of 3 babies and although she was strong about it, I can only imagine that her heart ached over the years that she hadn't been able to raise them and love them here. From reading her journal I know she had a strong and abiding testimony that families are forever and I don't doubt that she is with them now.

When I was in the temple I felt impressed to write down my feelings about eternal families. I have faith that I will see Mum again, and even though I cry over missing her, I know we will be together again. Boy am I excited for that reunion!!!! I know that my husband and I have been sealed by power on earth that will transcend death. We will be husband and wife forever, and our children can be with us as well.

Shortly after Mum died, a friend asked me a question and I didn't answer it very well. The question went something along the lines of 'where do you think your Mum is now'. If I could go back and answer now, I'd say 'Death is not the end. Mum no longer has a physical body, but her spirit lives on and she's just the same as she's always been. She's in the spirit world with loved ones who have already passed on and they continue to learn and grow together. The illness that plagued her at the end was lifted immediately in death and I know she felt peace and rest as soon as she passed on. I love thinking about that because I don't think the end was easy for her. Basically I know that Mum still lives, her spirit is alive and well although her mortal body was buried nearly 7 years ago. And I know that when I pass on from this life I can be with her again. YAY!!!!!



On Saturday I got to go to the temple and do some work for my family. It felt really good knowing that I was helping Mary Elizabeth get one step closer to being sealed to her family for all eternity, something she can no longer do for herself, but I could help with!
It's probably a bit hard to see this small screenshot, but Mary Elizabeth is one of my Great, Great Great Grandmother's daugthers



No comments:

Post a Comment