Monday 20 October 2014

FHE - Choosing the Right makes me Happy


With the amount of 'bad behaviour' that happens around here, I thought it was about time we discussed how 'bad behaviour' doesn't make us happy. It makes us feel bad, naughty, guilty, embarrased, regret, sorrow, anger......
Happiness comes from making good choices....and that's what we want a whole lot more of

I wrote out some short scenarios (based on our reality), that the kids could relate to, for good or bad!

I printed them out, cut them into strips and put each inside a balloon. Then we had turns popping a balloon and choosing if the story was about good or not so good choices. We kept the good ones and put them on a star (I am like a Star was our opening song because at the end it says 'I can do and say happy things each day, for I know Heavenly Father loves me'). The bad choices went into our rubbish bin (picture).







Coincidental but very cool that the balloons I bought had smiley faces on them






Then we had refreshments which was icecream with different toppings. Rather than doing this relating to keeping the sabbath day holy, I got yummy and terrible ice-cream toppings (marmite, wasabi, scone mix, salt, tomato sauce) and we talked about how we had a choice about what we put on our ice-cream. And we'd wanted to be happy with our choice. Even though Seth insisted on having marmite on his ice-cream, the girls did seem to understand that some choices are good and they're like skittles and m&ms. And we try not to make bad choices like marmite and salt.

Typical Daddy Joe during FHE....I'm sure he doesn't do this in other church meetings to it's a pretty poor effort if you ask me! I try not to take it personally though, a sign of boredom that he fully falls asleep pretty much every week!






I suppose it was a kid-friendly version of the scripture 'wickedness never was happiness'


 Here's to an improvement in behaviour.....I live in hope!



No comments:

Post a Comment